Please take a moment to read this post first, i.e. "A Different Perspective," before diving into this blog. Your comments, suggestions and participation are greatly appreciated.

Please take a look at Notable Quotes, enjoy.

Please take a look at the bibliography if you do not see a proper reference to a post.

Warning, Caveat and Note: The postings on this blog are my interpretation of readings, studies and experiences therefore errors and omissions are mine and mine alone. The content surrounding the extracts of books, see bibliography on this blog site, are also mine and mine alone therefore errors and omissions are also mine and mine alone and therefore why I highly recommended one read, study, research and fact find the material for clarity. My effort here is self-clarity toward a fuller understanding of the subject matter. See the bibliography for information on the books.


Note: I will endevor to provide a bibliography and italicize any direct quotes from the materials I use for this blog. If there are mistakes, errors, and/or omissions, I take full responsibility for them as they are mine and mine alone. If you find any mistakes, errors, and/or omissions please comment and let me know along with the correct information and/or sources.


“All I say is by way of discourse, and nothing by way of advice. I should not speak so boldly if it were my due to be believed.” - Montaigne

Hey, Attention on Deck!

Hey, NOTHING here is PERSONAL, get over it - Teach Me and I will Learn!


Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Wearing Keiko-gi [稽古着] in Public

Blog Article/Post Caveat (Read First Please: Click the Link)

We have a couple of dojo in my village here in Northern California and the last few years I have noticed something that triggers a bit of my concern, the wearing of the keiko-gi out in public. Yes, the dojo concerned are commercial in nature and I am not sure they teach a more traditional form of karate and/or martial art but they do wear the keiko-gi. 

I also consider that the dojo in question all involve the very youngest of adults. Nothing wrong with this because this type of training and practice even when sport oriented still provides benefits all young adults should be exposed to. I do have issues with wearing the keiko-gi, to include the obi, around town before and after training and practice. 

I guess I am a bit old fashioned because it seems a bit ostentatious, i.e., pretentious, showy and flamboyant to say the least. I guess most just assume that the keiko-gi is no different from the gym wear people put on to go to the gym to lift weights, ride stationary bikes or do the Zumba routines, right? Yet, for some reason I don’t see karate and martial arts training and practice as the same as going to the gym and doing Zumba. 

I guess that is a bit snobbish of me but I also consider that in my day others might see the keiko-gi, especially the obi if black or red/white paneled or even red, as a challenge or as a status symbol saying one is better than another or others. 

I also feel strongly that wearing it in public is just not acceptable much like the modern trend for some younger women to wear pajama’s out to go shopping or to get coffee. I kinda think it is being lazy. 

I guess it is a bit like growing up and being taught that you wear certain socially acceptable outer wear and if you are going to the gym you carry your gym stuff in a gym bag, change at the gym, work out, shower, change back and back out into public. 

Wearing a black belt and white uniform just seems to say, “Look at me, I am a black belt, I have abilities and on a subconscious level to some it can convey a challenge.” Then we have to consider some of the principles like humility, enlightenment and humbleness that are often sold as part of the training practice, right? Wearing and displaying to impress, attract notice or as some statement of who we are, what we are and what we are capable of, or is this just the American way? 

Personally, the keiko-gi is something that is folded/rolled in a certain way, the bound by the obi and placed, my view here, in a gym bag for transport to and from the dojo. It is not a gym sweat pants and top, it is not a form of socially acceptable outer clothing and it does, even if we don’t recognize it as so, transmit messages to others that don’t fit the mold meant to be a more traditional karate and martial arts discipline. 

Even as a Marine during my time we only wore our, “Utility Uniform,” at work. We were required to change into either a dress modified uniform or civilian cloths to go home, if we lived off base. On base living we could wear the utility uniform but if we went to the movie theater or a restaurant we wore civilian cloths or dress uniforms. Off base you could drive directly, without stops, to your home and the base but had to change otherwise. 

I guess it is my military personality that drives this but I do remember that we wore, as kids growing up, certain types of clothing dependent on what we did socially be it go to church, off to school or just going out to the neighborhood field to play. 

Regardless, I feel that wearing the keiko-gi outside the dojo to be a faux pas. I social no-no and just not done, what do you think? 

Bibliography (Click the link)



No comments: