Warning, Caveat and Note: The postings on this blog are my interpretation of readings, studies and experiences therefore errors and omissions are mine and mine alone. The content surrounding the extracts of books, see bibliography on this blog site, are also mine and mine alone therefore errors and omissions are also mine and mine alone and therefore why I highly recommended one read, study, research and fact find the material for clarity. My effort here is self-clarity toward a fuller understanding of the subject matter. See the bibliography for information on the books.
Note: I will endevor to provide a bibliography and italicize any direct quotes from the materials I use for this blog. If there are mistakes, errors, and/or omissions, I take full responsibility for them as they are mine and mine alone. If you find any mistakes, errors, and/or omissions please comment and let me know along with the correct information and/or sources.
“All I say is by way of discourse, and nothing by way of advice. I should not speak so boldly if it were my due to be believed.” - Montaigne
Monday, September 26, 2016
Friday, September 23, 2016
- The use of the phrase ‘secret bone breaking’ is merely a sales tactic, a compliance strategy to trigger certain influence principles to get people to sign up for the program that teaches this secret for self-defense.
- In truth, even if the kata bunkai technique is actually and originally meant to break bones it is not the actual fracture but more a stress fracture that may, stressing the term ‘may’, lead to validation of this phrase in karate.
- Bones alone are extremely tough and resilient then adding in health, fitness, musculature, structure, alignments the combination of tendons, cartilage, and bone combinations; then add in the movement involved in the dynamics of fighting or defense/offensive chaotic situations; then the dynamics of adrenal stress-induced conditions that add to the ability of the body to endure stresses that might lead to breaks or fractures you have a ever changing situation where the likelihood of all those factors being in alignment that would allow for a bone break are, in my humble opinion, virtually impossible.
- If a bone is broken it will likely come from the result of a technique that causes the person to fall and cause a fracture, not because of some manipulation of the body.
- Even tho many will profess that some MMA like compliance/manipulation techniques when applied will result in broken bones even those are questionable in a non-sport controlled situation such as an attack and even in the social monkey dance more often encountered in sport bars, etc.
- In most attacks, there is not time to find the optimal situation that will allow one to implement their secret bone breaking technique. The skills and experience levels necessary to achieve such goals especially under the influence of surprise, the flurry of the attack, the loss of balance often involved and then overcoming the effects of the chemical dump, the adrenal flood, leaves little room even for the most practiced and experienced dojo training possible to break bones expect in controlled situations and fighting along with defense is not controlled but chaos.
Thursday, September 22, 2016
|Click for larger, readable, view. Note: I suspect there are|
other such graphics out there to help understand
self-defense profiling type things?
Wednesday, September 21, 2016
Thursday, September 15, 2016
- Not providing background and additional information leaves too much to chance and improper assumptions.
- Allowing such chance and assumption allows incorrect teachings to take hold which are doubly hard to change to correct.
- Information is knowledge ergo why I explained things in depth as well as provide study materials to refer to over time.
- To adequately teach you have to use more than simple mimicking, i.e., demonstrate and then have them do it.
- Karate is more than simply physical copycat mimicking of movement therefore needs deeper understanding.
- A combination of visual, auditory, tactile, etc., forms of teaching are necessary to teach and learn the depth and breadth of any subject but more so karate that is a mental and physical manifestation of human survival tools.
- The steady decline over two or more decades of karate and martial disciplines is a result of ignorance and a failure to research, analyze, hypothesize and then synthesize the applicability of the discipline toward life and survival - especially when it involves self-fense.
- We in the West assume that doing is learning, it is - partly, but we also failed to learn and understand the culture and belief systems of such disciplines origins used such models along with their cultural systems to teach silently and over long periods of time. The West works in just the exact opposite of that due to our cultural belief systems.
- Once Asian Master told his American student upon awarded a teaching certificate highly recommended, “When you return home, remember, teach them as you would Americans!” Meaning, the Asian way is not the Western way and although the system was taught the Asian way it consists of principles and how they are taught and manifested without ties to either the Asian way or the Western way - makes the core of martial disciplines span all cultures and belief systems across many borders.