Please take a moment to read this post first, i.e. "A Different Perspective," before diving into this blog. Your comments, suggestions and participation are greatly appreciated.

Please take a look at Notable Quotes, enjoy.

Please take a look at the bibliography if you do not see a proper reference to a post.

Warning, Caveat and Note: The postings on this blog are my interpretation of readings, studies and experiences therefore errors and omissions are mine and mine alone. The content surrounding the extracts of books, see bibliography on this blog site, are also mine and mine alone therefore errors and omissions are also mine and mine alone and therefore why I highly recommended one read, study, research and fact find the material for clarity. My effort here is self-clarity toward a fuller understanding of the subject matter. See the bibliography for information on the books.


Note: I will endevor to provide a bibliography and italicize any direct quotes from the materials I use for this blog. If there are mistakes, errors, and/or omissions, I take full responsibility for them as they are mine and mine alone. If you find any mistakes, errors, and/or omissions please comment and let me know along with the correct information and/or sources.


“All I say is by way of discourse, and nothing by way of advice. I should not speak so boldly if it were my due to be believed.” - Montaigne

Hey, Attention on Deck!

Hey, NOTHING here is PERSONAL, get over it - Teach Me and I will Learn!


Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Combat Sport


I read this combination of terms in a recent article about martial arts sparring and took pause. I wondered, as a Marine, how one can combine combat with sport without either diminishing the meaning of combat or causing sport to achieve some level that is not in accord with combat. The two seem to be at direct opposites of one another like combat being extreme yang and sport being extreme yin.

I also wonder what perceptions are derived from the two words for someone who may not have knowledge of either especially when it comes to the labeling of "martial arts." Then I think, does it make any difference?

The difference to me is about perceptions. When I say combat I often and immediately think of our military serving in harms way, a place where many are trying the very best to kill you. I think of combat as fighting between armed forces, i.e. our Marines, Army, Navy and Air Forces against their versions of the same. 

When I think of sport I think of amicable individuals and teams who are trying to test themselves against some discipline in an effort to best one another in seeking the title of "number one or the best, etc." No one intentionally goes into a sport event trying to kill the other guy. 

Combat is a purposeful violent conflict meant to weaken, establish dominance over, or kill the opposition. While sport may want to weaken an opponent or to establish a dominant position over an opponent they are not trying to kill them. Maybe it is because I was military, a Marine. 

Maybe the term combat is added to sport to provide some special oomph to the practice, to draw in the uninitiated by some advertisement gimmick or to provide some false sense of ability feeding on the fear of being hurt, attacked, etc. as in self-defense. It seems our media efforts on this aspect are to promote their some what distorted version of reality where reality is more a promotion to sell a product on television, etc. 

Do I get some special ability by taking a combat sport type training? Does it mean that if I take this combat sport that I will have the additional ability to defend and protect myself and mine in a conflict or violent encounter? 

Then again, does it really matter?

No comments: