Please take a moment to read this post first, i.e. "A Different Perspective," before diving into this blog. Your comments, suggestions and participation are greatly appreciated.

Please take a look at Notable Quotes, enjoy.

Please take a look at the bibliography if you do not see a proper reference to a post.

Warning, Caveat and Note: The postings on this blog are my interpretation of readings, studies and experiences therefore errors and omissions are mine and mine alone. The content surrounding the extracts of books, see bibliography on this blog site, are also mine and mine alone therefore errors and omissions are also mine and mine alone and therefore why I highly recommended one read, study, research and fact find the material for clarity. My effort here is self-clarity toward a fuller understanding of the subject matter. See the bibliography for information on the books.


Note: I will endevor to provide a bibliography and italicize any direct quotes from the materials I use for this blog. If there are mistakes, errors, and/or omissions, I take full responsibility for them as they are mine and mine alone. If you find any mistakes, errors, and/or omissions please comment and let me know along with the correct information and/or sources.


“All I say is by way of discourse, and nothing by way of advice. I should not speak so boldly if it were my due to be believed.” - Montaigne

Hey, Attention on Deck!

Hey, NOTHING here is PERSONAL, get over it - Teach Me and I will Learn!


Search This Blog

Friday, December 5, 2014

Power Perceptions

“I have been watching the different videos I have that display Isshinryu Karate Katas. Your videos show a display of power in the movements, while the others go through the motions, without any power, suggestions of technique or talent. In all the katas I have viewed I think yours are how Master Tatsuo Shimabuku trained them to be taught. With power and rhythm.”  - No name to protect the commenter

I am not naming the person who wrote this quote because it is not about what he understands and believes but rather that this belief is one held by a lot of martial artists. You see it as a means of grading a persons kata in competition. You see it as a grading requirement for rank advancement. You see it used as a means of exercise to display a perception of strength and power.

I quote, “The power paradox defined the very nature of power, i.e. true power “feels,” and actually should be, “effortless.” That which feels like powerful is “Not.” Actualized effortlessness, however,constitutes our goal in martial technique. A technique that feels powerful cannot actually be powerful. The feeling of power emerges from the sensation of exertion, and greater exertion means less power. Don’t confuse “harder” with “more power.” When we produce a greater “effect” through equal effort, an equal effect through less effort, or a greater effect through less effort can we be said to have increased our power.” - Stephen J. Pearlman, The Book of Martial Power (Source for the fundamental principles of martial systems)

If what I quoted is true then the display of a feeling or sense or view of power by a practitioner and/or observer is flawed. If you go back and review the sub-principle of ratio you will find that to adhere to those five ratio’s to achieve power, etc., would negate the above concept of what many believe is power. 

Granted, the power perceived through dynamic tension while performing kata or doing drills has its purpose but to label it seemingly exclusively as “power” is a misrepresentation of what power is to a novice or student of martial practices. Look at it as an exercise of the muscles, ligaments, tendons and the skeletal system along with secondary benefits for the internal organs, etc. but not a true indication of power. Also, consider the expenditure of the energy to perform techniques this way. Again, it is a benefit for fitness training and health, so some believe, but not power. We have a limited amount of power.

Our limits to power generation means that if we expend that energy with such applications of technique then we reduce the energy that could be applied to a target. The argument for years has been that the method of application in performance of said powerful techniques and talent are transferred to the target yet this has been argued as another perception misunderstanding. This is explained well in Pearlman Sensei’s book of martial power. It is about positive effort to yield ration, power to yield ratio, movement to yield ratio, time to yield ratio, and space to yield ratio. 

Note: this is just the ratio’s and to achieve power adequately for self-defense it is about a more holistic application of all principles of martial power. 

It is a shame, and I was guilty of this teaching Isshinryu for a long time, that our tendency to remain stagnant in a comfort zone as taught by our sensei that this has continued throughout the last forty years. My question to end this post is this, “How many of them have applied this type of power in a real violent surprise driven fear inducing pain experience of self-defense?” The answer may never be found, after all it has not been refuted, except in postings like this one, in a self-defense situation as I describe in the question.

p.s. the person who made the quote started his martial arts training and practice around 1963, he has a good thirteen years on me :-)


p.s.s. I still practice like described but I perceive it as more a means of health, fitness and exercise over actually applying power. When I practice toward applying power I step back and work to apply the proper principles in that practice. Look at the power perceptive exercise as my warm up period along with basic technique practice but principles are of my focus once I get into kata, drills and SD practices (such as they are according to my experience, assumptions and perspective, etc.).

No comments: