Please take a moment to read this post first, i.e. "A Different Perspective," before diving into this blog. Your comments, suggestions and participation are greatly appreciated.

Please take a look at Notable Quotes, enjoy.

Please take a look at the bibliography if you do not see a proper reference to a post.

Warning, Caveat and Note: The postings on this blog are my interpretation of readings, studies and experiences therefore errors and omissions are mine and mine alone. The content surrounding the extracts of books, see bibliography on this blog site, are also mine and mine alone therefore errors and omissions are also mine and mine alone and therefore why I highly recommended one read, study, research and fact find the material for clarity. My effort here is self-clarity toward a fuller understanding of the subject matter. See the bibliography for information on the books.


Note: I will endevor to provide a bibliography and italicize any direct quotes from the materials I use for this blog. If there are mistakes, errors, and/or omissions, I take full responsibility for them as they are mine and mine alone. If you find any mistakes, errors, and/or omissions please comment and let me know along with the correct information and/or sources.


“All I say is by way of discourse, and nothing by way of advice. I should not speak so boldly if it were my due to be believed.” - Montaigne

Hey, Attention on Deck!

Hey, NOTHING here is PERSONAL, get over it - Teach Me and I will Learn!


Search This Blog

Friday, July 18, 2014

What is a martial art?

A question that cannot be answered with anything definitive. Some believe it is a self-defense system while others feel strongly it is a combative system. Then some who believe it is simply a way of life or a path that helps us be better persons.

What is a martial art? One answer might be that "it depends." It depends on what you do with it. After all, even our American football is thought of as a way of life or a discipline that helps us see how life is lived. I guess calling something a martial art may not be the best label. If it is an art then how do you define "art?"

Maybe it is best to call it a martial system as I often do when explaining the fundamental principles underlying all martial systems be they karate, kung fu, aikido, judo or wrestling.

What you call your discipline depends totally and completely on the what and why you practice such a thing.

Is it so you can gather as in a social club to do that one thing together as a group so that you can bond and connect with other humans? Is it so you can learn to defend yourself (kind of hard since karate, as an example, is actually a fighting system)? Is it so you can compete, like a sport, to test your self and to gain notoriety by the trophies and titles you win or earn?

I find that most titles or labels are inadequate due to misunderstandings or just plain ignorance with a lack of willingness or motivation to discover any factual historical information that would clarify such a thing.

I just know that I am working to connect what I practice and train in so that it incorporates several of the things I mentioned above, i.e. self-defense and a way to augment how I live my life, etc. That seems beneficial to me.

I think it is important to know the what and why you do anything so that you do it for that sake. I think it is about what you do with it and not what you "think" others feel is the way to do it - there is always disparity in this part.

Regardless, it is about enjoying what you do and continuing it as long as it provides something to you as an individual.

No comments: