Please take a moment to read this post first, i.e. "A Different Perspective," before diving into this blog. Your comments, suggestions and participation are greatly appreciated.

Please take a look at Notable Quotes, enjoy.

Please take a look at the bibliography if you do not see a proper reference to a post.

Warning, Caveat and Note: The postings on this blog are my interpretation of readings, studies and experiences therefore errors and omissions are mine and mine alone. The content surrounding the extracts of books, see bibliography on this blog site, are also mine and mine alone therefore errors and omissions are also mine and mine alone and therefore why I highly recommended one read, study, research and fact find the material for clarity. My effort here is self-clarity toward a fuller understanding of the subject matter. See the bibliography for information on the books.


Note: I will endevor to provide a bibliography and italicize any direct quotes from the materials I use for this blog. If there are mistakes, errors, and/or omissions, I take full responsibility for them as they are mine and mine alone. If you find any mistakes, errors, and/or omissions please comment and let me know along with the correct information and/or sources.


“All I say is by way of discourse, and nothing by way of advice. I should not speak so boldly if it were my due to be believed.” - Montaigne

Hey, Attention on Deck!

Hey, NOTHING here is PERSONAL, get over it - Teach Me and I will Learn!


Search This Blog

Friday, January 20, 2017

Adornments, Accoutrements and Other Stuff

Blog Article/Post Caveat (Read First Please: Click the Link)

Hash marks, worn and frayed obi and a rainbow of colored uniforms both in traditional styles as well as creative styles of the individual and/or dojo and/or organization. What is up with that some may or may not say, either privately or publicly but the real question is, “Does this have any effect in the practice and application of martial arts and karate?” No, not in the slightest. Where the issues take on sometimes heated discussions is when one faction, the traditional or classical martial artists and karate-ka, faces off in a discussion with another faction, the modern martial artists and karate-ka and reality is on that one, that is all about group dynamics and personal/group beliefs tied unconsciously to the survival instincts of humans. 

So, why bring it up? Well, because I can and often do just to create a thinking mindless meandering process of analysis and synthesis toward a way of looking at things in a better way - at least personally and hopefully, inspire others who read this to do the same thing.

I once read an article, another person actually admitted to me they did this when they achieved sho-dan, where newly frocked sho-dan would take the new obi, wash it first with bleach to fade the black a little and then later, they would tie it to rope and then tie the rope to their vehicle, a truck in this case, and drag it around on country roads until it achieved a level of frayed and fade that closely matched that of their sensei’s obi. 

Why do folks do this or want this? There are as many reasons I have come across then there are stars in the night. One reason is a drive to be perceived as experienced, someone who has been practicing and training for a long, long time. Well, when you are anywhere between the ages of sixteen and twenty-two years wearing such a belt it does occur to me that at those ages unless you began at age five and achieve sho-dan at age ten there is no way that the obi could be in that state even in those six to six year span of training and practice, especially when that happens maybe three times a week for about two hours each. 

Now, there are those who are awarded their black belts currently worn and owned by their Sensei. It could be about awarding that obi to an individual as a personal symbol of the Sensei to student relationship as well as some special meaning toward the progress and progression of that student vs. the normal student and time to sho-dan. There is nothing wrong with this but rest assured from my personal experience that may not be exactly true for my Sensei used his obi at most sho-dan promotions so he would get that students newly purchase black belt so he would not have to buy a new one every few years. It was almost always faded a tiny bit with maybe a fraying where the knot ties every time it is put on. 

Personally, I used to adorn my karate-gi with a few extra patches in those early years. Not too many because I am a bit of a minimalist but one or two more than just the styles patch normally over the heart on the left side of the jacket. I also went through a phase where I wanted to wear an obi other than the standard black like the paneled obi when I reached a certain level in black belt. I even had a special obi I wore for special occasions such as when I would promote someone above second-dan or ni-dan. It was a gift that was created with a Zen like mind and meaning attached and that represented that age old legend and story about the obi worn till it turns dark from use, blood, sweat and so on till it came full circle back around to being almost white again. Except, this one looked and remained looking new since it was worn maybe three times. 

I like to think that I am a bit more traditional, I tend to feel that the basic white karate-gi is appropriate with just one patch, totally voluntary to put on, be on it at the left over heart position such as the Isshinryu patch. I now have hanging in my closest a really quality white karate-gi with just one thing in the patch position, the embroidered kanji for Isshinryu. I hung that one up a few years ago and now train and practice in my street clothes, yep you heard right - My Street Clothes.

Anyway, it is best to remember that regardless of what you wear and other such things in the end what you train and practice for is truly the cored critical and important thing you do because in the end when all is said and done, your actions and your deeds and your beliefs and your philosophy are what truly matter. 

p.s. If for some reason, such things really bother you consider why and ask that question of yourself, could it be because you are jealous or that you would like to belong and does it trigger that group dynamic of belonging and the social needs connected to the deep dark mind of species survival? Ask a bunch of questions like this and then decide because you may find that in truth it doesn’t really matter anyway - it does not change you, your knowledge and expertise in your art and who you truly are …

Bibliography (Click the link)




No comments: