Please take a moment to read this post first, i.e. "A Different Perspective," before diving into this blog. Your comments, suggestions and participation are greatly appreciated.

Please take a look at Notable Quotes, enjoy.

Please take a look at the bibliography if you do not see a proper reference to a post.

Warning, Caveat and Note: The postings on this blog are my interpretation of readings, studies and experiences therefore errors and omissions are mine and mine alone. The content surrounding the extracts of books, see bibliography on this blog site, are also mine and mine alone therefore errors and omissions are also mine and mine alone and therefore why I highly recommended one read, study, research and fact find the material for clarity. My effort here is self-clarity toward a fuller understanding of the subject matter. See the bibliography for information on the books.


Note: I will endevor to provide a bibliography and italicize any direct quotes from the materials I use for this blog. If there are mistakes, errors, and/or omissions, I take full responsibility for them as they are mine and mine alone. If you find any mistakes, errors, and/or omissions please comment and let me know along with the correct information and/or sources.


“All I say is by way of discourse, and nothing by way of advice. I should not speak so boldly if it were my due to be believed.” - Montaigne

Hey, Attention on Deck!

Hey, NOTHING here is PERSONAL, get over it - Teach Me and I will Learn!


Search This Blog

Thursday, March 17, 2016

Dogmatic Religious Adherence for Preservation

Blog Article/Post Caveat (Read First Please: Click the Link)

Hey, Michael Clarke of the Shinseidokan Dojo blog wrote about a discussion he and a friend had on kata. The question was whether one should rigidly preserve the kata in the way it was originally taught or practice with an open mind toward individual interpretation of that kata. His exact words were, “ … whether or not kata should be [rigidly] preserved, or open to interpretation?” - Michael Clarke, Shinseidokan Dojo

He also stated that kara are there to be understood and in a nutshell, for me, answer the question quite well. To understand the kata you have to practice the kata, over time, in three stages. Ever hear of, “Shu-ha-ri?” 

In my mind, one should adhere dogmatically, “Perform the kata,” to the kata as taught in a dogmatic way until they get to a certain point then they should deviate. This is the practice phase where we pass by the mere physical performance of the kata and begin to, “Understand the kata.” I look at it as a paradigm mind-set shift because as everyone is saying, there is more to kata then merely the form. It isn’t just application as to bunkai but to understand you do have to go past the surface or the book cover and begin to read the content of the book to begin to hear and understand the story. 

If a practitioner is very, very lucky they reach a point of deep understanding, an understanding that is unique to that person and that person alone and is not compared to others, then it is time to begin, “Living the kata.” This is where one has achieved enough understanding and experience to begin their personal, “Interpretation of the kata.” 

Clarke Sensei is also hitting the nail on the head saying, “The role of kata … it’s something to ponder, don’t you think?” To which I would answer resoundingly, “You betcha Clarke Sensei!” I have pondered my kata practice and I will continue to do so.

It is a shame that many never get past the dogmatic performance level with kata for the accolades and self-gratifying trophy collecting levels to really understand kata to their fullest. 

Note: I am not insinuating that I have that understanding and yet I can say that at the very least I understand what needs to be done so I continue to do what is needed in the hopes that one day I will truly understand the kata - then, maybe I can finally interpret them with understanding.   

Bibliography (Click the link)



No comments: