Please take a moment to read this post first, i.e. "A Different Perspective," before diving into this blog. Your comments, suggestions and participation are greatly appreciated.

Please take a look at Notable Quotes, enjoy.

Please take a look at the bibliography if you do not see a proper reference to a post.

Warning, Caveat and Note: The postings on this blog are my interpretation of readings, studies and experiences therefore errors and omissions are mine and mine alone. The content surrounding the extracts of books, see bibliography on this blog site, are also mine and mine alone therefore errors and omissions are also mine and mine alone and therefore why I highly recommended one read, study, research and fact find the material for clarity. My effort here is self-clarity toward a fuller understanding of the subject matter. See the bibliography for information on the books.


Note: I will endevor to provide a bibliography and italicize any direct quotes from the materials I use for this blog. If there are mistakes, errors, and/or omissions, I take full responsibility for them as they are mine and mine alone. If you find any mistakes, errors, and/or omissions please comment and let me know along with the correct information and/or sources.


“All I say is by way of discourse, and nothing by way of advice. I should not speak so boldly if it were my due to be believed.” - Montaigne

Hey, Attention on Deck!

Hey, NOTHING here is PERSONAL, get over it - Teach Me and I will Learn!


Search This Blog

Friday, June 12, 2015

My Name is Nobody

Blog Article/Post Caveat (Read First Please: Click the Link)


Hey, I can use movie titles, especially if they help me tell my story. This one involves who I am, “I am nobody.” You might be saying, what are you talking about now? 

Here it is, while composing another article built on the shoulders of a modicum of experience and a huge contribution from the efforts and experiences of others I thought, “Why would anyone read and believe in what I write about?” 

Since I am “Nobody” with no real experiences to draw upon in the world of professionals, i.e., those who live, breath and experienced the world of violence as police, corrections officers and military, etc., and no real experience using martial arts in self-defense why would you even consider what I have to write about? 

Well, even the teachings of professionals needs to be tested by each individual to see if it will work for them. In so many studies I have made those professionals stated from time to time that just because it worked for them does not mean or guarantee it will work for the individual. It is like when Marc MacYoung, in his book In the Name of Self-Defense (and others), says that one time you might experience these adrenal effects, the next time not and yet others may crop up and then another time some different adrenal effects will hit, you just don’t know. Even with gaining and accumulated experience there are no guarantees it will or will not work.

In other words, what I am presenting are actually, “Possibilities!” Everything I write about has possibilities for other martial discipline practitioners especially if they practice toward self-defense. This issue has been a bane to our professionals as wall as human survival over the ages when experience falls away due to the loss of our warriors and a few generations of professionals unable to experience combat, fighting and self-defense, etc. You have to provide them with the best you can present until they test it in harms way, right? 

This conundrum has existed since man first picked up a club to raise the force levels to gain an advantage over other tribes they encounter who come into conflict over whatever. At least what I present is a possibility and even if I had the most experiences ever imagined it still has to be tested by each individual to see if it will work - for them (Note: the conundrum goes deeper because it may work one time and fail the next only to work the following times). 

What I present in possibilities makes for more to validate and use because it just might work for you. Remember, a professional once said - I think - “You need to know what you don’t know in order to know!” He said something like, “What gets you killed is what you thought you knew but you didn’t know,” type thing (sorry if I got the exact quote incorrect). 

So, I keep studying and collating information and knowledge in the hope of better understanding and I write to allow others to consider, test, validate and absorb (if it is beneficial). One day, some professional who found value even in just one article may actually teach it to his successor(s). That to me makes any effort worthwhile. Your greatest challenge is, “Separating the wheat from the chaff, i.e., the crap from the diamonds.” 

Note: If you really want to know the exact quotes I mention, start reading the bibliography because it is there in some form or another - I can’t remember or find this stuff every time, you gotta do some work here :-)


Bibliography (Click the link)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't underestimate you're contribution. Remember that Doctors apply medicine based on what research scientists learn. Observers of many different studies contribute to various disciplines and sciences. Though it is true that techniques, tactics and strategies are proven on the battlefield, it is the practitioner who studies and trains for years practicing and applying techniques on the mat who contribute to the preservation and growth of "the way".

Charles James said...

Thanks for your comments Richard, much appreciated.