Please take a moment to read this post first, i.e. "A Different Perspective," before diving into this blog. Your comments, suggestions and participation are greatly appreciated.

Please take a look at Notable Quotes, enjoy.

Please take a look at the bibliography if you do not see a proper reference to a post.

Warning, Caveat and Note: The postings on this blog are my interpretation of readings, studies and experiences therefore errors and omissions are mine and mine alone. The content surrounding the extracts of books, see bibliography on this blog site, are also mine and mine alone therefore errors and omissions are also mine and mine alone and therefore why I highly recommended one read, study, research and fact find the material for clarity. My effort here is self-clarity toward a fuller understanding of the subject matter. See the bibliography for information on the books.


Note: I will endevor to provide a bibliography and italicize any direct quotes from the materials I use for this blog. If there are mistakes, errors, and/or omissions, I take full responsibility for them as they are mine and mine alone. If you find any mistakes, errors, and/or omissions please comment and let me know along with the correct information and/or sources.


“All I say is by way of discourse, and nothing by way of advice. I should not speak so boldly if it were my due to be believed.” - Montaigne

Hey, Attention on Deck!

Hey, NOTHING here is PERSONAL, get over it - Teach Me and I will Learn!


Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Assumptions (Katei [仮定])

Once I called a fellow martial artists to see if I could clarify some piece of information. When I talked with this person they immediately assumed, because of my grade or level, to all me “master.” I immediately asked him to refrain from using that moniker and just call me “Charles.” 

First, I am not a master of anything. Being a master has some huge meaning for me and from my perspective. I don’t believe we have any true masters of martial arts in this country (I may be wrong so don’t assume anything :-). I believe we have some very talented, knowledgable and experienced martial artists but no masters, not true masters as I see it.

I am not saying that if you are considered a master by your practitioners that you are not a master by your definition but by mine I kinda of doubt it. This is not personal or anything because it is about “me” and how I perceive things. 

Anyway, as I stated I am not a master of anything but I do have a modicum of knowledge and I am somewhat intelligent so I can hypothesize, theorize and think in terms of how I perceive things and how I perceive how they will, might or may work but that is not to say I am anything other than a knowledgable martial artists who just happens to have practiced for a number of years reaching into my winter years of life. 

I didn’t want this person to assume something just because I may hold some level or grade in my discipline of practice and training. I didn’t want anyone, even this person, to make such assumptions that could lead to a misinterpretation of my writings, teachings and search for knowledge. I am enthusiastic in my discipline.  I am not totally absorbed to an unhealthy degree in my studies but I do have “fun” with what I do. 

I want folks to take things as they are unadorned by assumptions that come from the perception of rank, titles, levels or grades not to forget trophies or the amount of students, black belts or earnings that go with some endeavors in martial arts. I just want to continue to learn and in my passing along any knowledge and perceptions I get from my studies to others of like mind. I think this is important.

Why? Because so many fail to achieve adequate knowledge to explain things so that the future is not consumed with innuendo and guess work let alone the “sage like” answers some “experts” provide such as “just practice the basics, it will come to you.” I don’t want to give excuses but rather answers that are valid and understandable and complete and most of all “fluid” so if I discover something that changes my answers and questions it can be assimilated and encoded. 

So, I try hard to “not make assumptions” that is most difficult because assumptions are a part of life, it is what we use and do in many facets in life. It is normal but what I try to achieve is when I make an assumption I then stop, question it with myself, sometimes question it with others and then make ready to “change that assumption” so I can be accurate, correct and thus achieve learning and the accumulation of knowledge. 


Assumptions!

No comments: