Please take a moment to read this post first, i.e. "A Different Perspective," before diving into this blog. Your comments, suggestions and participation are greatly appreciated.

Please take a look at Notable Quotes, enjoy.

Please take a look at the bibliography if you do not see a proper reference to a post.

Warning, Caveat and Note: The postings on this blog are my interpretation of readings, studies and experiences therefore errors and omissions are mine and mine alone. The content surrounding the extracts of books, see bibliography on this blog site, are also mine and mine alone therefore errors and omissions are also mine and mine alone and therefore why I highly recommended one read, study, research and fact find the material for clarity. My effort here is self-clarity toward a fuller understanding of the subject matter. See the bibliography for information on the books.


Note: I will endevor to provide a bibliography and italicize any direct quotes from the materials I use for this blog. If there are mistakes, errors, and/or omissions, I take full responsibility for them as they are mine and mine alone. If you find any mistakes, errors, and/or omissions please comment and let me know along with the correct information and/or sources.


“All I say is by way of discourse, and nothing by way of advice. I should not speak so boldly if it were my due to be believed.” - Montaigne

Hey, Attention on Deck!

Hey, NOTHING here is PERSONAL, get over it - Teach Me and I will Learn!


Search This Blog

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Facts, Just the Facts Ma'am..... Joe Friday, Dragnet


In my mind there are no sources that are absolute. The human ingredient is always going to introduce some personalizations, perceptions, culture and beliefs of the author even tho they work diligently to remain unbiased as to what they write. The scientific studies of the Human kind are also flawed as it is impossible to remove that human factor from research as such. 

This is why my philosophy has become one of caution and continued research. This is why my philosophy is that what ever facts or historical data I might promote is and should be taken as flawed. This is why my philosophy is to find the data, data-mining, and then find other sources that corroborate what you have gathered and learned. Even so, my philosophy is to keep the mind open to the possibilities that what I have may be inaccurate or just plain wrong and be willing to change accordingly. 

I have a philosophy that if someone or something causes me to immediately jump to "that is not right" I have to say to myself, "STOP, wait, think about this and use Miller's Law." 

When you research some subject you have to enter into the project with an open mind. You have to be willing to change as necessary and you must, must, question everything - over, over and over again. Isn't this the proper way to research articles, papers and published works?

When you become biased as to what you know for reasons that fall into the emotional model then it is even more important you stop and tell yourself that it is the Monkey speaking here and you should push to allow the Human brain do the analysis and such before you put the word to publication. 

When you refuse to allow some other perspective to have its say and you refuse to consider the possible merits of someone else's efforts you other them so you can "feel" safe in your personal beliefs. Isn't this simply allowing the Monkey brain to run the train?

Don't get me wrong, this stuff is difficult. We humans tend to live in the Monkey brain. We tend toward emotional responses simply because nature provided that as a means of survival. Fear, Anger, Love, Empathy all release chemicals into our brains and bodies but our perception of what that is drives how we act and react with a heavy influence of those same chemicals on our senses and mental activities. 

Search, Data-mine, validate and then repeat .... forever. Because to remain steadfast on a belief at any one moment means stagnation and a biased life. This is not what life is about and it is not what martial arts practice are about. 

No comments: